Draft policy agenda for the coalition:
A recommendation for the City of Boulder Open Space & Mountain Parks Master Plan
Support of Community Cycles, Cyclists 4 Community, and Boulder Mountainbike Alliance's recommendations to the Boulder County Transportation Master Plan update
Support for the SHIFT Principles.
Boulder Outdoor Coalition Charter (draft 01-29-2019)
Boulder Outdoor Coalition (BOC) is a county-wide partnership that serves as a platform for members to coordinate their efforts to protect public lands, waters and snowscapes and to ensure these places can be experienced in a meaningful and sustainable manner.
When anglers, backcountry skiers, bird watchers, climbers, coaches/trainers, dog walkers, gravel & road cyclists, hikers, horseback riders, junior rangers, land managers, local bicycle shops, mountain bicyclists, non-profit advocacy organizations, outdoor equipment and clothing manufacturers, retailers, para-gliders, regional trail advocates, stroller parents, trail builders, trail runners, and walkers speak with one voice, people, especially policymakers, listen. Our collective voice increases the leverage our community can apply to local decisions affecting public lands and recreation. By connecting at the local level, the human powered community can drive better policy creation and make sure it is implemented in a way that reflects the conservation and recreation values of our community.
BOC connects local knowledge, sensibilities and priorities and enhances all of the members’ policy, advocacy and organizational capacities. This connection empowers the human powered outdoor recreation community and enables its members to pursue common goals more effectively.
What we will do:
1) Share and exchange information about:
a. Public lands in Boulder, Colorado and the human powered outdoor recreational pursuits that these places support;
b. Relationships with land managers and policy makers that members have at the local level; and
c. Opportunities at the local level to shape and implement policies that relate to conserving and experiencing public lands in Boulder.
2) Use shared information to collaborate on joint advocacy, policy development and implementation, education, communication and relationship building efforts at the local level.
3) Present a unified voice and resources from the human-powered recreation community on relevant conservation and recreation issues affecting public lands, waters and snowscapes.
What we will not do:
1) Tell each other what to do;
2) Interfere with each other’s respective missions or internal memberships; or
3) Use the partnership for reasons other than a common platform to support opportunities to work together.
How we will do this:
1) Each member organization will designate at least one liaison;
2) Open Boulder’s community organizer will be the initial coordinator for the group, responsible for convening BOC on a regular basis (quarterly);
3) The regular meetings will be held with the members of BOC and with key decision makers, as necessary, and will serve as the setting for the partnership to identify opportunities to collaborate and to make progress towards its goals; and
4) Liaisons will keep their respective organizations updated and briefed on the work of BOC.
5) Primary communication will be a blog and emails, www.openboulder.org/coalition-blog/
BOC will include conservation-minded, authentic representatives of the human-powered user community in Boulder, Colorado. The partnership will strive for consensus on the inclusion of new members and on all actions taken as a group.
BOC presupposes no exchange of financial support between or amongst the members.
The undersigned organizations have been invited to agree to the guidelines outlined above and enter into BOC as founding members. Each respective BOC liaison will be listed below.
Front Range Anglers
Boulder Climbing Community
Friends Interested in Dogs & Open Space
Boulder Trail Runners
Boulder Junior Cycling
Boulder Mountainbike Alliance
Cyclists 4 Community (Matt Muir)
Nederland Area Trails Organization
Boulder County Horse Association
Boulder Area Trails Coalition
Indian Peaks Traverse
Go Far Shop
Boulder Nordic Club
Boulder Outdoor Business Alliance
Colorado High School Cycling League
Open Boulder (Steve Watts)
Singletrack Mountain Bike Adventures
Actively seeking additional groups, organizations and/or individuals